This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

Difference between 1st and 2nd editions?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

SLP
      Participant

I have the 2nd ed. in electronic form and later acquired the 1st ed. in paperback. I was really hoping to be able to use the book but I noticed a difference in some of the lesson names on the flow chart. Is there a significant difference between the two editions? (Of note my son is 9 and we are moving fairly quickly through volume 1 because he already understands quite a lot that is covered… so far.)

Thank you.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

The first and second editions of BFSU Volume I are very much the same. The first edition will work perfectly well in giving your kids a solid background in beginning science. The second edition is only somewhat adjusted to make it more in tune with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), which may or may not be of any concern depending on the state you live in. In this regard, the second edition of Volume I, contains two additional lessons: C-3A Energy and Force, and B-5A Adaptations and survival. Thanks for your question.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.