This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

Co-op level question

Welcome to BFSU: Forums Volume One Co-op level question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Theblueanura
      Participant

I’m planning a Co-op class. I have topics in mind from a previous class. I’m hoping to teach 2nd-5th but the topics are mostly in level 1. Do you think this is a problem to adapt the topics from book 1 up to reach 2nd-5th grade? The kids get used this curriculum before.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

If kids have not been exposed to and learned the basic ideas and concepts presented in Volume I, they are a good and necessary starting point for any age regardless of grade. The core idea/concept of any lesson can be presented in a manner that is age appropriate.

Please don’t hesitate to ask further as you proceed.

Bernie Nebel

Theblueanura
      Participant

Thanks. I don’t have a way to know what the background knowledge is since the students are homeschooler. I plan to do a sort of review of the background topics to fill holes and then go forward from there.
      I took some time today to read through the lessons on earth’s rotation/orbit (day/night, seasons) and they don’t seem to something that I could use in an 8 week class. They are year long observational studies. Am I missing something about this?
      I need to figure out 8 45-minute classes for 3rd-5th grade. I think I must be missing something because I know someone who does a similar set of classes and suggested using BFSU as the spine for this as she does.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

Hi “Theblueanura”,

In response to “I don’t have a way to know what the background knowledge [of my students is], I suggest conducting a brief Q and A regarding a given lesson. Use the list of items under “Practices: Students who demonstrate understanding can:” as a basis for your questioning. Students’ responses will demonstrate their understanding or lack thereof, and it will also expose misconceptions that they may have. This can lead into the lesson itself, or aspects of the lesson that need clarification. If they show full mastery, you can immediately move on the next lesson in the same manner. At worst this will be a significant review.

This does assume that you have familiarized yourself with the lessons and have materials/equipment for teaching/demonstrations at hand to begin addressing gaps that students expose. Utilize the links provided under specific lessons in BFSU community.com.

I confess that I am confused by your implying that all the D lessons involve “year long observational studies”. This is true for lesson D-6 only. All the others can be compressed into a 45 session if you are well prepared with necessary materials at hand. I do hope that you will make more contact with the person you know who does this.

I hope this helps, but please ask further.
      Bernie Nebel

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.