This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

Prerequisites List?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

lesliegid
      Participant

Has anyone come up with a listing of all the lesson prerequisites in a spreadsheet format? I’d like a compiled listing of the “required background” sections all in one place to use alongside the flowchart to help clear up some confusion I have with parts of it. I would prefer one that is in no particular order, just goes from the first lesson in the book to the last. I thought I’d seen one but can’t find it now.

Thanks,
      Leslie
      mom of 4 in TN

buddingnaturalist
      Participant

I don’t know if it is possible to upload actual files. I tried to make this so it would copy nicely into an Excel file, but it doesn’t seem to work. Either way, here is the information you wanted:

Lesson Prerequisites

A/B-1: None
      A-2: A/B-1
      A-3: A-2, B-2, D-1
      A-4: A-2, A-3
      A-5: A/B-1, A-2
      A-5A: A-5, D-3A
      A-6: A-3, A-4, D-1
      A-7: A-4, A-5, B-3, C-3, [A-8 close proximity]
      A-8: C-1, A-2, A-4, A-6
      A-9: A-4, A-7, A-8
      A-10: A-4, A-5, A-9, B-2

B-2: A/B-1, A-2
      B-3: B-2, C-1, C-3
      B-4: B-2, B-3, [B-4A may be concurrent]
      B-4A: B-2, B-3
      B-4B: B-4, [B-4A concurrent]
      B-5: C-1, B-3, B-4, B-4A [concurrent], D-4 [may be concurrent]
      B-5A: B-4, B-4A [concurrent/ongoing], B-5
      B-6: None
      B-7: B-3, B-4A, B-5, B-5A, B-6
      B-8: A-7, A-9, B-6, C-1, C-3A
      B-9: A-7, A-9, B-7, B-8, C-4
      B-10: A-7, B-4, B-4A, B-4B, B-5A
      B-11: B-5A, B-10, C-3
      B-12: A-10, B-5, B-9, B-11, D-8

C-1: None; Integrate with A-2, B-3, D-1
      C-2: A-3, A-4, C-1
      C-3: A-2, A-4, B-2, C-1, D-1, B-3 [may be concurrent]
      C-3A: C-1, C-3, D-1
      C-4: A-2, A-3, A-4, C-1, C-3
      C-5: C-1, C-3, C-3A, C-4
      C-6: C-1, C-2, C-3, C-3A, C-4, C-5
      C-7: C-1, C-3, C-5, C-6

D-1: None; Integrate with A-3, C-1, C-3, C-3A
      D-2: D-1, D-3 [concurrent or soon after]
      D-3: None
      D-3A: D-2, D-3 [previously or concurrently]
      D-4: D-3, D-3A, B-4A [concurrently], [ties in with A-8]
      D-5: D-2, D-3, D-3A
      D-6: D-2, D-3A, D-4, D-5, [concurrent with B-4A]
      D-7: D-1, A-3, A-4, C-5, C-6
      D-8: D-4, A-10

E-1: A-5, A-10, B-2, B-12, C-1

Note:
      This is compiled from the second edition (2014), which is slightly different than that of the first edition (2007), but should be compatible with the first if you are using the original. (I have the original in paperback and bought a digital version of the second edition from the publisher.)

I noticed the second edition had more items listed as prerequisites, as well as the addition of lessons C-3A (Energy and Force) and B-05A (Adaptations and Survival). Also lesson D-9 has been reclassified as E-1. Hope this helps!

lesliegid
      Participant

Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I wonder why there are more prereq’s in the new edition. Do you think it’s worth getting the digital version if all I have is the original?

Thanks again so much!

Leslie

buddingnaturalist
      Participant

My impression from browsing the newer edition is that the topics are more clearly related to each other and several of them go deeper than they did in the original, which would explain the increase in prerequisites.

The digital version from Outskirts Press is $5 for a PDF ebook. I would still rather have the paperback, but it is certainly a cost-effective way to access the updated information and it is nice to be able use the search function when making lesson plans. Science was never my best subject, so anything that makes it easier for me to understand and teach is totally worth it!

Amazon has a preview of the second edition. If you sign in, it will let you see pages from lessons A-5A (magnets and magnetic fields), B-5 (adaptations, food chains, and energy flow), and a few from B-6 (how animals move). You can also preview the Kindle edition, which has all of A/B-1 (organizing things into categories) and part of A-2 (solids, liquids, gases and change with temperature). The Kindle edition is currently $9.99.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.