This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

5th grader starting volume 1?

Welcome to BFSU: Forums Open Discussion 5th grader starting volume 1?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

asbweiner
      Participant

I have read in several places that every child should start with BFSU level 1. I have a highly gifted 5th grader and a 3rd grader. Both coming from public school system and I’m now planning to homeschool for as long as I can. Should I really take my 5th grader back to the beginning? I worry my 5th grader will get bored while I”m working with my 3rd grader if he grasps the concept quickly or has already learned about it. I also worry about taking my 5th grader then falling behind by going back so far.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

There are basic concepts presented in Volume I that public shooled kids may have missed, and later lessons depend on having a grasp of these concepts. Therefore, yes, I do recommend starting with Volume I. However, you can just review a lesson by asking/discussing items in the “Practices” section of the lesson. Only go further where you discover gaps. Of course you can make this process age-appropriate. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.