This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

5th grader starting volume 1?

Science Education for the Early Grades Forums Open Discussion 5th grader starting volume 1?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

asbweiner
      Participant

I have read in several places that every child should start with BFSU level 1. I have a highly gifted 5th grader and a 3rd grader. Both coming from public school system and I’m now planning to homeschool for as long as I can. Should I really take my 5th grader back to the beginning? I worry my 5th grader will get bored while I”m working with my 3rd grader if he grasps the concept quickly or has already learned about it. I also worry about taking my 5th grader then falling behind by going back so far.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

There are basic concepts presented in Volume I that public shooled kids may have missed, and later lessons depend on having a grasp of these concepts. Therefore, yes, I do recommend starting with Volume I. However, you can just review a lesson by asking/discussing items in the “Practices” section of the lesson. Only go further where you discover gaps. Of course you can make this process age-appropriate. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.