This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

Starting Vol. 2 soon–what type/brand of microscope?

Welcome to BFSU: Forums Open Discussion Starting Vol. 2 soon–what type/brand of microscope?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

CKappenman
      Participant

I just wanted to get a sense of what microscopes people have had good experiences with. I have an 11-year-old. I like the look of the Brock Magiscope but it is pretty expensive and I’m not sure it has the magnification for the observations we’re supposed to make in Vol. 2. I’m very inexperienced with microscopes and don’t want to buy the wrong thing!

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

The Brock microscope is the one microscope that I DO NOT recommend. Focusing is very tricky. Then, when you wish to go from scanning to higher power you must disassemble, screw in the higher power lens, and refocus. Refocusing under the higher power is almost impossible.

Therefore, go with the three-lens, par focal, standard student scope, an example of which may be seen at
      https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-M150C-I-40X-1000X-Biological-Microscope/dp/B00AM5XB5O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538751948&sr=8-3&keywords=microscope

They are actually less expensive than the Brock.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.