This is a community of those using "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"

Elementary Science Education

Starting with an 8th grader

Welcome to BFSU: Forums How to Use BFSU Starting with an 8th grader

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

MamaTGville
      Participant

I am looking into this curriculum for my 8th grader. I have never used it before. Would I use Volume 3 for him? I have a strong science background, so I can help him a lot if needed.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

It depends on his background thus far. BFSU is designed to build understanding in logical systematic steps each building on what has gone before. If he has not had steps one and two, you cannot expect him to make much sense of step 3, even with help. I recommend starting with volume 1 then 2 and doing a review using the “Practices” section of each lesson. Only spend time on filling in ideas/concepts that he has missed or have fallen away. After this, you can be assured that he has the background or Volume 3.

mossoffa
      Participant

Hi Bernie,
      By “doing a review using the ‘Practices’ section of each lesson,” do you mean the “Methods and Procedures?” I am similarly trying to find a way to bootstrap a few kids into either Volume II or III. But if I had to do the full “Methods and Procedures” for all the lessons in Vol I., it could take a whole year! If it were just my own kids, homeschooling, I’d be ok with that, but I’m trying to devlop something I can offer to a small group in 6-8 week units. Maybe one unit could be review, but no more than that. Has anybody put together a “greatest hits” list of common gaps that I could start with, and then assess them from there? Or has anybody put together a series of videos or short readings, which could be intersperced with live demonstrations for the most critical ideas? I’m going to search other threads but thought I’d start here. Thanks!

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

Sorry, I can’t offer anything myself. However, contact the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/308651699340117

They may be able to help.

Bernard Nebel
      Keymaster

Sorry, I can’t offer anything myself. However, contact the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/308651699340117

They may be able to help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.